All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world's most iconic chateau has welcomed tourists the world over, yet this handsome slipcased volume offers up the charm of a thousand and one hidden places in the chateau, its gardens, and pavilions. All were designed to surprise and delight the eye and all the senses at every turn, their exquisite decoration forming an integral part of the elite lifestyle of the eighteenth-century. This comprehensive volume captures the exquisite setting and inimitable ambiance of Versailles and its gardens, from its intimate private spaces usually closed to the general public to the charming Petit Trian and dairy farm created for the pure pleasure of Marie-Antoinette. Concise, informative, and evocative texts describe the practical, social, and aesthetic considerations that informed the creation of the home to three kings, while newly commissioned photography features the chateau's architecture, gardens, paintings, drawings, and decorative arts that bring to life the beauty and the daily routines of this golden age of French culture. This jewel of a volume is a rich homage to Versailles and the perfect souvenir for visitors and armchair travelers alike who, while turning these pages, will embark on a private tour of the lavish chateau and grounds.
- Author BiographyYves Carlier is a writer and curator specializing in sixteenth- to nineteenth-century French decorative arts and design. Francis Hammond is a renowned lifestyle photographer.
- Author(s)Yves Carlier
- PublisherEditions Flammarion
- Date of Publication07/04/2014
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationParis
- Country of PublicationFrance
- First Published2014
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight940 g
- Width140 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Photographer(s)Francis Hammond
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.