All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe historical development of dentistry as a profession in Ontario from the late nineteenth century to the end of the First World War is used as a case study to explore the significance of gender, particularly masculinity, in the formation of professions. Adams argues that gender was central to the establishment of the dental profession. Over time, dentistry developed from being a trade to garnering professional status. The early dentists worked to recruit, and indeed structured the profession in such a way as to recruit, middle-class white men into the profession. Gender and class divisions were drawn upon both to define and legitimate professional roles and claims to professional status; by definition, a professional was a gentleman. A Dentist and a Gentleman uses historical documents including dental journals and dental board and association meeting minutes to detail both the key events in the establishment of the dental profession and the efforts of professional leaders to define and structure their profession to meet the gentlemanly ideal. A Dentist and a Gentleman is a fascinating social history for anyone interested in profession creation and gender and professions.
- Author BiographyTracey L. Adams is a professor in the Department of Sociology at Western University. Her earlier work, A Dentist and a Gentleman, is also published by University of Toronto Press.
- Author(s)Tracey L. Adams
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication11/01/2000
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note6 halftone illustrations
- Weight538 g
- Width160 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.