All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $28.83Trending at AU $29.69
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $23.68Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.14
- AU $46.98Trending at AU $53.52
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.04
- AU $36.33Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionOf extant languages, Ch'orti' Mayan is the closest to ancient the Maya hieroglyphic script, but it is a language that is decreasing in usage. In southern Guatemala where it is spoken, many children longer learn it, as Spanish dominates most experiences. From linguistic and anthropological data gathered over many years, Kerry Hull has created the largest and most complete Ch'orti' Mayan dictionary to date. With nearly 9,000 entries, this trilingual dictionary of Ch'orti', Spanish, and English preserves ancient words and concepts that were vital to this culture in the past. Each entry contains examples of Ch'orti' sentences along with their translations. Each term is defined grammatically and linked to a grammatical index. Variations due to age and region are ted. Additionally, extensive cultural and linguistic antations accompany many entries, providing detailed looks into Ch'orti' daily life, mythology, flora and fauna, healing, ritual, and food. Hull worked closely with native speakers, including traditional ritual specialists, and presents that work here in a way that is easily accessible to scholars and laypersons alike.
- Author BiographyKerry Hull is currently a professor in the Department of Ancient Scripture at Brigham Young University, USA. He is author of An Abbreviated Dictionary of Ch'orti' Mayan, and coeditor of Ch'orti' Maya Area: Past and Present and of Parallel Worlds: Genre, Discourse, and Poetics in Contemporary, Colonial, and Classic Maya Literature.
- Author(s)Kerry Hull
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectChildren's Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Weight1724 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.