All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSteve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole is a riotously funny explosion of a vel SHORTLISTED FOR THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2008 From his prison cell, Jasper Dean tells the unlikely story of his scheming father Martin, his crazy Uncle Terry and how the three of them upset - mostly unintentionally - an entire continent. Incorporating death, parenting (good and bad kinds), one labyrinth, first love, a handbook for criminals, a scheme to make everyone rich and an explosive suggestion box, Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole is a hilarious, heartbreaking story of families and how to survive them. 'A fat book but very light on its feet, skipping from anecdote, to rant, to reflection, like a stone skimming across a pond ...it is brilliant' Guardian 'Sparkling comic writing ...It gives off the unmistakeable whiff of a book that might just contain the secret of life' Independent 'With tinges of magical realism and buckets of misanthropic humour it's a clever and funny debut' Observer 'If first vels were sandwiches, Steve Toltz's would be a juicy, swaggering doorstop of a sarnie, overflowing with eccentrically combined but delicious ingredients ...Toltz is a superb phrase-maker with an acute eye for humanity's shortfalls'Big Issue Steve Toltz was born in Sydney. After graduating from Newcastle University in 1994, he has lived in Sydney, Montreal, Vancouver, Barcelona and Paris, working primarily as a screenwriter and freelance writer, but also doing stints as both a private investigator and an English teacher. A Fraction of the Whole is his first book.
- Author BiographySteve Toltz was born in Sydney. After graduating from Newcastle University in 1994, he has lived in Sydney, Montreal, Vancouver, Barcelona and Paris, working primarily as a screenwriter and freelance writer, but also doing stints as both a private investigator and an English teacher. A Fraction of the Whole is his first book.
- PrizesWinner of NSW Premier's Literary Award People's Choice for Fiction 2009. Shortlisted for NSW Premier's Literary Award Christina Stead Prize for Fiction 2009 and Miles Franklin Literary Award 2009 and Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize 2009 and Guardian First Book Award 2008 and Man Booker Prize for Fiction 2008.
- Author(s)Steve Toltz
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication14/05/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight490 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.46Trending at AU $32.16
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $85.49
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.65
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.17
- AU $12.65Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.