All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the Civil Rights Movement is remembered for efforts to end segregation and secure the rights of African Americans, the larger ecomic vision that animated much of the movement is often overlooked today. That vision sought ecomic justice for every person in the United States, regardless of race. It favored production for social use instead of profit; social ownership; and democratic control over major ecomic decisions. The document that best captured this vision was the <em>Freedom Budget for All Americans: Budgeting Our Resources, 1966-1975</em>, <em>To Achieve Freedom from Want </em>published by the A. Philip Randolph Institute and endorsed by a virtual 'who's who' of U.S. left liberalism and radicalism. Now, two of today's leading socialist thinkers return to the Freedom Budget and its program for ecomic justice. Paul Le Blanc and Michael D. Yates explain the origins of the Freedom Budget, how it sought to achieve freedom from want for all people, and how it might be reimagined for our current moment. Combining historical perspective with clear-sighted ecomic proposals, the authors make a concrete case for reviving the spirit of the Civil Rights Movement and building the society of ecomic security and democratic control envisioned by the movement's leaders--a struggle that continues to this day.
- Author Biography<strong>Paul Le Blanc</strong> is Professor of History at La Roche College and the author of many titles, including <em>From Marx to Gramsci </em>and <em>Marx, Lenin and the Revolutionary Experience</em>.
- Author(s)Michael D. Yates,Paul LeBlanc
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication20/12/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.51Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $43.43Trending at AU $48.15
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.