Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionHdi is a hitherto undescribed language spoken in rthern Cameroon. The language belongs to the Central Branch of Chadic. The aim of the book is to provide a fairly complete description of the grammar of this language. Consequently, the grammar describes the phology, morphology and syntax of Hdi and the semantic and discourse functions coded in this language. Most clauses in Hdi are verb-initial, with the subject directly following the verb. The object is often marked by a preposition. What makes Hdi unusual is that the object-marking preposition is unique and does t function elsewhere as a locative preposition. Ather interesting feature of Hdi is that there are two types of clauses, pragmatically independent and pragmatically dependent, and that the difference between these is coded by different tense and aspectual systems. In addition, there are two clausal orders for complex sentences: The order embedded clause-matrix clause codes one type of modality, while the order matrix clause-embedded clause codes ather. The language also has a rich system of verbal extensions coding the semantic roles of arguments and adjuncts and the direction of movement. The grammar is of interest t only to linguists working in African, Chadic and Afroasiatic linguistics, but also to general linguists, since it describes phemena rarely seen in other languages of the world. The grammar is described in terms accessible to linguists working within various theoretical frameworks.
- Author BiographyZygmunt Frajzyngier is Professor at the University of Colorado, USA. Erin Shay is research associate at the University of Colorado, USA.
- Author(s)Zygmunt Frajzyngier
- PublisherWalter de Gruyter & Co
- Date of Publication01/11/2001
- Series TitleMouton Grammar Library [MGL]
- Series Part/Volume Number21
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintMouton de Gruyter
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1098 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
- Interest AgeCollege Graduate Student
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.