Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionSeldom in history has there been a city with a more sordid reputation than Edinburgh. Beneath the surface respectability of the jewel in the Scottish crown lies a warren of filth-ridden alleys and stairs where thieves, murderers and ghouls of every description planned and carried out their foul deeds. In this book, we meet them all. Major Weir, the devil-worshipping black magician and his wicked sister Grizel; Captain Porteous, the corrupt official who inspired the population to mob justice; Jessie King, the torious Stockbridge baby farmer; wife poisoner Eugene Chantrelle; Deacon Brodie, the inspiration behind Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; and, of course, worst of all, Mr. Burke and Mr. Hare, who plied their swift trade in corpses for the dissection table of Dr. Kx.
- Author BiographyAlan Sharp is a writer and researcher on Jack the Ripper as well as other historic murder cases. He is one of the editors of Ripper Notes magazine and has contributed to other specialist magazines on the subject. He is a member of The Whitechapel Society. He lives in Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Alan Sharp
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2009
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight420 g
- Width170 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.