All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.08Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionDid you kw? On 15 November 1892 as Dr Neill Cream dropped through the gallows trap at Newgate he declared 'I'm Jack the ...'. (Cream was in prison in America at the time the Ripper murders were committed). In November 1887, there was a pitch battle in Trafalgar Square between those so poor they took to camping there and 2,000 policemen and soldiers. The event became kwn as 'Bloody Sunday'. In December 1884, after bombs had been successfully detonated near Trafalgar Square and Scotland Yard a terrorist dropped ather over one of the parapets of London Bridge and only succeeded in killing himself. By the mid-nineteenth century, the graveyards of London became so full a vast cemetery was established at Woking in Surrey. Opened in 1854 and kwn as Brookwood Cemetery or The London Necropolis it was even served by its own railway - the Necropolis Light Railway where the deceased's last one-way ticket could even be bought in first, second or third class. Neil Storey's macabre calendar chronicles the darker side of life in the London between 1870 and 1900. Murderers and footpads, pimps and prostitutes, riots, rebels, bizarre funerals, disaster and peculiar medicine all feature. The book will be illustrated with engravings, newspaper reports, photographs and original documents.
- Author BiographyNeil Storey is one of East Anglia's foremost historians and has written extensively for Sutton. His books include several IOPs, most recently The North Norfolk Coast IOP (2001), and Flood Alert! Norfolk 1953 (2003), A Grim Almanac of Norfolk, A Grim Almanac of Suffolk. He appears regularly on local radio.
- Author(s)Neil R. Storey
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width194 mm
- Height263 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.