Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionA Handbook of Children and Young People's Participation brings together key thinkers and practitioners from diverse contexts across the globe to provide an authoritative overview of contemporary theory and practice around children's participation. Promoting the participation of children and young people - in decision-making and policy development, and as active contributors to everyday family and community life - has become a central part of policy and programme initiatives in both majority and mirity worlds. This book presents the most useful recent work in children's participation as a resource for academics, students and practitioners in childhood studies, children's rights and welfare, child and family social work, youth and community work, governance, aid and development programmes. The book introduces key concepts and debates, and presents a rich collection of accounts of the diverse ways in which children's participation is understood and enacted around the world, interspersed with reflective commentaries from adults and young people. It concludes with a number of substantial theoretical contributions that aim to take forward our understanding of children's participation. The emphasis throughout the text is on learning from the complexity of children's participation in practice to improve our theoretical understanding, and on using those theoretical insights to challenge practice, with the aim of realising children's rights and citizenship more fully.
- Author BiographyBarry Percy-Smith is Reader in Childhood and Participatory Practice at the SOLAR Action Research Centre, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK. He has extensive experience using participatory and 'whole system' action inquiry approaches in research, evaluation and development projects with children, young people, practitioners and policy makers. He is Coordinator of the Children's Participation Learning Network, an international forum for critical debate about children and young people's participation, and has published and presented numerous papers on the subject. Nigel Thomas is Professor of Childhood and Youth Research at the University of Central Lancashire, UK, and Co-Director of The Centre, which exists to promote and research children and young people's participation, inclusion and empowerment. He has twenty years' experience of social work practice and has taught and researched extensively in the field of children's welfare, rights and participation.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/08/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note15 black & white tables
- Weight748 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byBarry Percy-Smith,Nigel Thomas
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.