All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.55
About this product
- DescriptionA Hard Row to Hoe is a narrative vel that stems from the memoirs of its main character, Ree, born in 1941. The story is based on her recollections from the around the age of four years old to the end of the decade. The story gives a concise view of the time, history, and southern setting in which the story unfolds. The story tells of how Ree slowly learns about life under the watchful eyes of her mother, doting grandmother, and their profound religious teachings. Although she's inquisitive, the excessively protective nature of her parents and grandmother always kept her curiosities at bay. However, despite their concerns, this rather sickly, quiet, and curious child senses there's more to life and utilizes every given opportunity to learn about people outside her secluded world. Sheltered in a world of blackness, she realizes her skin is black, and she's very happy being black because everybody she kws in her little world is kindhearted and njudgmental. It was only when she finally ventures out into the greater society that she realizes what it means to be a little black child in America. Shockingly, her aspirations temporarily floundered when she faced the harsh reality that t all people accepted her blackness. Ree learns life can be hard and very painful and that it incorporates many different kinds of pain-most devastatingly, the pain of rejection. By the story's end, she has become so resolute it dulled the pain of an unaccepting world. Assuredly, she kws the moral teachings of her mother and grandmother would always be there to help her overcome the stigmas that have been attached to black skin. It is said: there's thing new under the sun. Subsequently, everything that goes around comes around. Moral principles that have spanned the decades are embedded within the lines of events, which will provide many teachable moments, just as its gripping conclusion will provide timeless answers to age-old problems.
- Author(s)Marie S Glover
- Date of Publication07/04/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.