All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring fifty years of involvement with 'the great south land', thousands of Australians have shared the experience of the grandeur and deprivations of this forbidding continent with their counterparts from many nations. This history was first published in 1996 and has w been revised and expanded by the author. It traces the patterns of human activity, in Antarctica from the southern journeys of the sixteenth century to the modern expeditions of adventurers and tourists. Using material from books, diaries, letters and fresh research, Stephen Martin illuminates the main themes of Antarctic history with the personal stories and images of the men and women who explored, worked and lived in this frozen and remote continent. This book is about the people of Antarctica: those who have chosen to endure the risks and enjoy the rewards of conquering the worlds most forbidding land. The author was senior librarian and researcher at the Mitchell Library in Sydney, and has unrivalled kwledge of its Australiana collections, which include original works by Frank Hurley and other ted photographers and artists who braved hazardous conditions in Antarctica during the 1800s and early 1900s, and the personal diaries, journals, ships logs and letters from dozens of explorers and scientists.
- Author BiographyStephen Martin is host of the top-rated weekly show The Truth About Life. He is the only three time winner of the Writers Digest Book Award and has won First Place awards from Independent Publisher and USA Book News. His audio CD, Success! Through Auto Hypnosis, won the 2007 National Best Book Award for inspirational and motivational audio books.
- Author(s)Stephen Martin
- PublisherRosenberg Publishing
- Date of Publication01/02/2013
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationDural, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintRosenberg Publishing
- Content Note100 b/w photos & maps
- Weight1404 g
- Width210 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.