All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a huge following among enthusiasts and the general public for the old paddle steamers that were once a familiar sight in British waters, both inland and around the coast. To cater for this interest the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society has collected a huge amount of material relating to the paddle steamers - posters, photographs, postcards, publicity material, film and recorded material etc. The world famous Waverley is the last active ocean going paddle steamer in existence and draws huge crowds around the country, providing a glimpse of a bygone age of travel. The Kingswear Castle still sails around the Thames Estuary on pleasure cruises, and the world's smallest paddle steamer Monarch still delights passengers around the Isle of Wight. This large and handsome hardbook book explores the history of paddle steamers around Britain with a mixture of evocative photographs from the past, stalgic period publicity material and other memorabilia, facts and figures about the paddle steamers and accounts of the experiences of those who travelled on them.
- Author BiographyAndrew Gladwell is a museum consultant and paddle steamer enthusiast who has written six books on the subject. He is actively involved in the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and manages its collection of over 32,000 items.
- Author(s)Andrew Gladwell
- PublisherIan Allan Publishing
- Date of Publication13/04/2014
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationSurrey
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIan Allan Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.