All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionA History of Hungary: Millennium in Central Europe provides a comprehensive yet approachable survey of Hungarian history from the prehistoric age to the present day. Politics and culture, ecomic, social and intellectual developments, and the wider European context are integrated in a single narrative. Laszlo Kontler adeptly steers the reader through ancient times, the great migration of peoples, and the creation and troubles of a Christian monarchy that arose in the region wedged between the Baltic and the Balkans, and the Germanic and Russian lands. He then explores factors such as socio-ecomic backwardness and foreign rule which put Hungary at a disadvantage in coping with the challenges of modernity - a process marked by revolutions, wars of independence, historic compromises and territorial losses. The book includes a detailed discussion of the 'socialist' period, while a brief Epilogue assesses the achievements and the difficulties of the present process of transition to democracy.
- Author BiographyLASZLO KONTLER is Head of History at The Central European University in Budapest.
- Author(s)Laszlo Kontler
- PublisherPalgrave USA
- Date of Publication02/10/2002
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationGordonsville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight703 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.