All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTourism is one of the largest industries in the world, yet leisure travel is more than just ecomically important. It plays a vital role in defining who we are by helping to place us in space and time. In so doing, it has aesthetic, medical, political, cultural, and social implications. However, it hasn't always been so. Tourism as we kw it is a surprisingly modern thing, both a product of modernity and a force helping to shape it. A History of Modern Tourism is the first book to track the origins and evolution of this pursuit from earliest times to the present. From a new understanding of aesthetics to scientific change, from the invention of steam power to the creation of aircraft, from an elite form of education to family car trips to see national 'shrines,' this book offers a sweeping and engaging overview of a fascinating story t yet widely kwn.
- Author BiographyEric Zuelow is Associate Professor of European History at the University of New England, USA, and has also taught classes on the history of tourism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, West Liberty State College, and the University of Guelph. He is the author of Making Ireland Irish: Tourism and National Identity since the Irish Civil War (Syracuse University Press 2009) and is the editor of Tourism Beyond the Nation: A Transnational Approach to European Tourism History (Ashgate 2011). He is also editor-in-chief for the Journal of Tourism History.
- Author(s)Eric Zuelow
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication27/10/2015
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight386 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.