All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt one magical instant in your early childhood, thepage of a book that string of confused, alien ciphers shivered into meaning, and at that moment, whole universes opened. You became, irrevocably, areader. Noted essayist and editor Alberto Manguelmoves from this essential moment to explore thesix-thousand-year-old conversation between wordsand that hero without whom the book would be alifeless object: the reader. Manguel brilliantly coversreading as seduction, as rebellion, and as obsessionand goes on to trace the quirky and fascinatinghistory of the reader s progress from clay tablet toscroll, codex to CD-ROM.
- Author Biography<b>Alberto Manguel </b>is a writer, a translator, and an editor of international reputation; his many books include <i>The Dictionary of Imaginary Places</i> (with Gianni Guadalupi), the award-winning novel <i>News From a Foreign Country Came</i>, and the short story anthologies <i>Black Water, The Gates of Paradise</i>, and (with Craig Stephenson) <i>In</i><i>Another Part of the Forest. </i>Born in Buenos Aires, Manguel has traveled extensively and is now a Canadian citizen.
- Author(s)Alberto Manguel
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication26/08/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAncient History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Penguin Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour plates
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.