All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Amish, one of America's most intriguingly private, unique, and often misunderstood religious communities, have survived for three hundred years! How has that happened? While much has been written on the Amish, little has been revealed about their history. This book brings together in one volume a thorough history of the Amish people. From their beginnings in Europe through their settlement in North America, the Amish have struggled to maintain their beliefs and traditions in often hostile settings. Now updated, the book gives an in-depth look at how the modern Amish church continues to grow and change. It covers recent developments in new Amish settlements, the community's conflict and negotiation with government, the Nickel Mines school shooting, and the media's constant fascination with this religious people, from reality TV shows to romance vels. Authoritative, thorough, and interestingly written, A History of the Amish presents the deep and rich heritage of the Amish people with dozens of illustrations and updated statistics. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in history--books about World War II, the Third Reich, Hitler and his henchmen, the JFK assassination, conspiracies, the American Civil War, the American Revolution, gladiators, Vikings, ancient Rome, medieval times, the old West, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographySteven M. Nolt is a professor at Goshen College, where he teaches American history and Mennonite history. Over the past twenty years he has visited dozens of Amish communities in numerous states and in Ontario, doing numerous research projects. Nolt's PhD is from the University of Notre Dame. He is the author or coauthor of a dozen books, most recently The Amish and Seeking Places of Peace, the North American volume in the Global Mennonite History series. He lives near Goshen, Indiana.
- Author(s)Associate Professor Steven M Nolt
- PublisherGood Books
- Date of Publication18/02/2016
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationMelksham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGood Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement3rd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.