All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionA History of the Chinese Language provides a comprehensive introduction to the historical development of the Chinese language from its proto Si-Tibetan roots in prehistoric times to Modern Standard Chinese. Taking a highly accessible and balanced approach, it presents a chrological survey of the various stages of Chinese language development, covering crucial aspects such as phology, syntax and semantics. Features include: * Coverage of the key historical stages in Chinese language development, such as Old Chinese, Middle Chinese, Early Modern Chinese, Classical Chinese and Modern Standard Chinese * Treatment of core linguistic aspects of the Chinese language including phological changes, grammatical development, lexical evolution, vernacular writing, Chinese characters and Modern Chinese dialects * Inclusion of many authentic Chinese legends and texts throughout the book, presented through a rigorous framework of linguistic analysis to help students to build up strong critical and evaluative skills and acquire valuable cultural kwledge * Integration of materials from different disciplines, such as archaeology, anthropology, history and sociolinguistics, to highlight the cultural and social background of each period of the language * Helpful appendices to aid students with prior kwledge of linguistics or the Chinese language * Companion website at www.routledge.com/cw/dong offering a wealth of supplementary resources such as additional exercises, answer keys and audio recordings of the sounds of Middle and Old Chinese. Written by a highly experienced instructor, A History of the Chinese Language will be an essential resource for beginning students of Chinese Language and Linguistics and for anyone interested in the history and culture of China.
- Author BiographyHongyuan Dong is Assistant Professor of Chinese Language and Linguistics at The George Washington University, USA.
- Author(s)Hongyuan Dong
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note37 black & white tables
- Weight385 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.