All listings for this product
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.50
- AU $21.62Trending at AU $23.95
- AU $13.67Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.18
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.32
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.30
- AU $21.69Trending at AU $24.43
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout human history, certain drinks have done much more than just quench thirst. As Tom Standage relates with authority and charm, six of them have had a surprisingly pervasive influence on the course of history, becoming the defining drink during a pivotal historical period. A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the twenty-first century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece, wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe, they became a 20th-century phemen, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization. For Tom Standage, each drink is a different kind of techlogy, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite beverage the same way again.
- Author BiographyTom Standage is technology editor at the Economist magazine and the author of The Turk, The Neptune File, and The Victorian Internet. Sean Runnette, a multiple AudioFile Earphones Award winner, has produced several Audie Award-winning audiobooks. He is a member of the American Repertory Theater company, and his television and film appearances include Two If by Sea, Copland, Sex and the City, Law & Order, and Third Watch.
- Author(s)Tom Standage
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication21/03/2011
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Sean Runnette
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time480
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.