All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionIn A Journey Round John Wendy E. S. North considers a range of themes relevant to the interpretation of the Fourth Gospel. First, the relationship between the Gospel and 1 John. North explores the value of the Epistle as a means of identifying traditional material the evangelist knew; on which basis she appeals to 1 John to account for the form of Jesus' prayer in chapter 11. Second, John's Christology in which North looks to John's cultural roots in motheistic Judaism to understand his capacity to align Jesus with God. Third, the crucial issue of 'the Jews' in John, where North clarifies the data by observing a narrative logic in John's use of the expression. Fourth, North identifies John's 'anticipated' eschatology as a consolation strategy aimed at a readership struggling under life-threatening circumstances in the absence of Jesus. Finally, North looks at John and the Syptics, and demonstrates how evidence drawn from the Gospel itself can serve to indicate whether or t John composed directly on the basis of the Syptic record. This collection draws together a number of ground-breaking studies from over thirty years of work on the Fourth Gospel, presenting a coherent development of thought on this crucial Christian text.
- Author BiographyWendy E. S. North is a widely published Johannine scholar. She gained a PhD from Bangor University, UK, in 1997 and has taught at the Universities of Hull and Durham, UK. She is currently an Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of Theology and Religion at Durham.
- Author(s)Wendy E. Sproston North
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication18/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleThe Library of New Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsHardback (stationery)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.