All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionHe stares down at us enigmatically from the corbels and capitals of churches across Europe -as well as from innumerable pub signs. Leaves and foliage issue from his mouth, or even sprout luxuriantly from his face. He is evoked in the leaps of English Morris Dancers -but he also pops up on the walls of a Jain temple in Rajasthan. Though -one kws for sure the real meaning of the Green Man, everyone who sets eyes on him understands that he stands for something very profound -indeed, archetypal- in our culture. He represents the fertility and fecundity of the harvest, perhaps -but also the process of death and rebirth, corruption and resurrection. Whatever his elusive significance, humankind's abiding fascination with the inscrutable Green Man has endowed our churches and temples with an astonishing array of carvings, stone heads, stained glass and paintings, by turns beautiful and sinister. Mike Harding's travels around Britain, and as far afield as Nepal and Borneo, have yielded this bestselling little book on the Green Man, from mediaeval to Victorian, both a magnificent photographic record and a definitive work in miniature on the strangest of mythical men.
- Author BiographyMike Harding is the author of A Guide to Tying North Country Flies and eight Little Books for Aurum, including the perennially successful books on the Green Man and Gargoyles. He is also a high-profile radio presenter with his weekly folk music show on BBC Radio 2, and hosts the annual BBC Folk Awards. He lives in West Yorkshire.
- Author(s)Mike Harding
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/06/1998
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight199 g
- Width148 mm
- Height148 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.