All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
About this product
- DescriptionPatronising advice by a doctor at a retirement course to 'walk a couple of miles a day' challenges architect Sean Rothery to take a proper walk and so, at the age of sixty-five, he sets out to walk the GR5, the Grande Randonee Cinq. From the steely grey North Sea to the intense blue Mediterranean, Sean's 2,300km-long route follows a network of old trails, forest paths, canal banks, Alpine valleys and passes. Along the way, he recounts some of his youthful enterprises, including cycling from Dieppe to Rome in the ruins of post-war Europe and a climbing accident in 1967 that saw him challenge ather doctor's progsis. Ghosts of the past are revisited, most poignantly in the Alps where two friends died in climbing accidents, but also alongside the ruins of First World War trenches. Sketchbook in hand, Sean savours the landscape, history and culture as he passes from one country to ather. Every day he looks out for the distinctive red-and-white waymarks of the GR5 - t an easy task, especially when change in the name of progress has cleared swathes of trails. This enthralling diary of a long walk south will have the reader urging the author on to the last step of the way.
- Author BiographySean Rothery is an architect and architectural historian. Now retired he is still active as a lecturer in Ireland and abroad. The author of many books and numerous articles, he is a lifelong lover of walking and mountaineering.
- Author(s)Sean Rothery
- PublisherThe Collins Press
- Date of Publication26/03/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Collins Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight307 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.