All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPolitical science and sociology increasingly rely on mathematical modeling and sophisticated data analysis, and many graduate programs in these fields w require students to take a math camp or a semester-long or yearlong course to acquire the necessary skills. Available textbooks are written for mathematics or ecomics majors, and fail to convey to students of political science and sociology the reasons for learning often-abstract mathematical concepts. A Mathematics Course for Political and Social Research fills this gap, providing both a primer for math vices in the social sciences and a handy reference for seasoned researchers. The book begins with the fundamental building blocks of mathematics and basic algebra, then goes on to cover essential subjects such as calculus in one and more than one variable, including optimization, constrained optimization, and implicit functions; linear algebra, including Markov chains and eigenvectors; and probability. It describes the intermediate steps most other textbooks leave out, features numerous exercises throughout, and grounds all concepts by illustrating their use and importance in political science and sociology. * Uniquely designed and ideal for students and researchers in political science and sociology * Uses practical examples from political science and sociology * Features Why Do I Care? sections that explain why concepts are useful * Includes numerous exercises * Complete online solutions manual (available only to professors, email david.siegel at duke.edu, subject line Solution Set ) * Selected solutions available online to students
- Author BiographyWill H. Moore is professor of political science at Florida State University. David A. Siegel is associate professor of political science at Duke University. He is the coauthor of A Behavioral Theory of Elections (Princeton).
- Author(s)David A. Siegel,Will H. Moore
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication06/09/2013
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note57 line illus. 18 tables.
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.36Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.