All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.31Trending at AU $28.10
About this product
- DescriptionThe insults that drew men to duels were often petty - a splash, a scrape or a disparaging word could all lead to pistols at dawn. When Charles Hawkey watched James Seton make a play for his beautiful wife, there was only one way to respond. The two men were hour bound to meet in a duel, but only one of them would return. Theirs was the last fatal duel on England's soil, and newspapers clamoured to give news of the death and scandal. Was Isabella Hawkey as blameless as she seemed or did she draw the rich Seton into a fatal romance? Did Charles Hawkey ever doubt his wife's fidelity? Was hour served? Martyn Beardsley has unearthed new information on this captivating story, details which finally separate villain from victim and tell the tale in full for the very first time. For those with an appetite for duelling etiquette and a curiosity concerning unusual duels, this book reaches past the story of Hawkey and Seton to tell tales of other sword, knife and gunfights.
- Author BiographyMartyn Beardsley has written 35 books, including Deadly Winter, the biography of the explorer Sir John Franklin.
- Author(s)Martyn Beardsley
- PublisherBookline and Thinker Ltd
- Date of Publication28/11/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBookline and Thinker Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.