All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough most medical school faculty members are required to teach, the standard medical school curriculum doesn't tell them how to do it well. This book does. An award-winning clinician-teacher, Helen M. Shields has spent her career training future doctors, researchers, and medical school instructors. Here she shares classroom-tested methods for developing, implementing, and evaluating effective curricula for medical students. Shields's five steps emphasize * extensive behind-the-scenes preparation, with a focus on visualizing both one's own performance and the desired student feedback* clear and logical presentations that match the material being taught* controlled exploration of topics through prepared questions and management of group dynamics* reinforcement of important concepts throughout the teaching session* a five-minute summary of take-home points Shields's easy-to-follow guide discusses what teachers should do-and what they should t do. She provides pertinent beginning-of-chapter questions, sample teaching materials, tips for last-minute assignments, and other pearls of wisdom. Shields also describes the methods of dynamic and effective instructors, offers a step-by-step approach to preparation and presentation, and relates proven ways to address a variety of expected and unexpected situations. Invative and practical, A Medical Teacher's Manual for Success is an essential resource for medical school faculty members who want to teach well.
- Author BiographyHelen M. Shields, M.D., FACP, AGAF, is a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a gastroenterologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. She received the Best Preclinical Instructor Award from the Harvard Medical School's 2004 and 2007 graduating classes and the Harvard Medical School Faculty Prize for Excellence in Teaching in 1999 and 2008.
- Author(s)Helen M. Shields
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication14/01/2011
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note10, 7 black & white line drawings, 3 black & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.