All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionWar and the military have played central roles in shaping modern Chinese history. Worthing demonstrates how these factors have figured decisively in the rise and fall of imperial dynasties, the suppression of internal revolts, the emergence of revolutionary movements, the conduct of China's foreign relations, the development of political parties, the structure of governments, the rise of nationalism and the drive for modernization, all of which have shaped so much of China's modern history. War and the military have played central roles in shaping modern Chinese history. As Worthing demonstrates, the consequences of war and defeat, in both internal and external conflicts, have largely determined the course of history in China, especially in the period since the rise of the Manchu dynasty in the 17th century. Understanding the military history of China is, therefore, essential to an understanding of the Chinese state that is w emerging as a 21st-century military and ecomic power. Organized chrologically, this book is divided into three sections designed to reveal the manner in which war and the military have influenced the course of Chinese history.
- Author BiographyPeter Worthing is Associate Professor of History at Texas Christian University. He has a PhD in modern Chinese History from the University of Hawaii. He is the author of Occupation and Revolution: China and the Vietnamese August Revolution of 1945 (2001) and several articles on Chinese military history in journals such as The Journal of Military History, Modern China, and The Journal of American-East Asian Relations.
- Author(s)Peter M. Worthing
- Date of Publication30/09/2007
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight514 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.