All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionAn engaging and entertaining read for veteran gamers and curious newcomers alike, A Mind Forever Voyaging traces the evolution of interactive video games by examining 13 landmark titles that challenged convention and captured players' imaginations worldwide. Alternative gaming blogger Dylan Holmes focuses on games that tell stories in invative and fascinating ways and examines the opportunities-and challenges-presented when players are given the ability to direct how a story plays out. From the text-based adventure of Planetfall and the interactive cinema of Heavy Rain to the one-act play of Facade and the simulated world of Shenmue, Holmes showcases the diversity of video game stories that have emerged in the last 30 years. Along the way, he addresses such questions as: How did the introduction of moral choices in video games change the playing field? What film techniques have enhanced (or detracted from!) the gaming experience? Can video games aspire to be art? [Hint: Yes!] What are the benefits, pitfalls, and unintended consequences of players' right to choose ? Will the robot Floyd make you cry? Critical analysis, historical perspective, and a gently opinionated personal touch make A Mind Forever Voyaging an enlightening read that captures the best that video games have to offer.
- Author BiographyDylan Holmes is a technical writer and independent journalist living in Seattle, Washington. His interests include gaming (video and otherwise), film, and discovering the perfect iced tea/lemonade ratio for Arnold Palmers. His writing can be found on the alternative gaming blog Nightmare Mode and at www.augmented-vision.net.
- Author(s)Dylan Holmes
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication07/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectComputer Games: User Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.