All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the author of Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy comes the story of a friendship between two girls set in Victorian England, with magical machines, wizards, witches, a mysterious underworld, and a race against time. Annabel Grey is primed for a proper life as a young lady in Victorian England. But when her mother suddenly disappears, she's put in the care of two eccentric aunts who thrust her into a decidedly un-ladylike life, full of potions and flying broomsticks and wizards who eat thing but crackers. Magic, indeed! Who ever heard of such a thing? Before Annabel can assess the most ladylike way to respond to her current predicament, she is swept up in an urgent quest. Annabel is pitted against ather young witch, Kitty, to rescue the sacred Moreover Wand from the dangerous underworld that exists beneath London. The two girls outsmart trolls, find passage through a wall of faerie bones, and narrowly escape a dragon, but it doesn't take long for Annabel to see that the most dangerous part of her journey is her decision to trust this wild, magical girl. Sparkling with Karen Foxlee's enchanting writing, this is a bewitching tale of one important wand and two most magical girls. [Foxlee's] heroines have grit and heart, and they are willing to get dirty. And they do. Foxlee's nicely wry tone and moments of incongruous humor break up the tension, while Annabel's race against time in a harrowing journey deep under London keeps the pages turning. Deliciously complex and convincingly detailed. --Kirkus Reviews, Starred Review Kids who enjoyed Foxlee's Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy and fans of Hardinge's Cuckoo Song will find similar otherworldly appeal in this enthralling adventure. --The Bulletin, Starred review Memorable for its vivid imagery and stylish, thoughtful prose. --Horn Book Magazine From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyKaren Foxlee is the author of The Anatomy of Wings, The Midnight Dress, and the middle-grade novel Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy, which has received five starred reviews. She lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her daughter. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Karen Foxlee
- PublisherAlfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Date of Publication02/08/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAlfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Weight431 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.74
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.61
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $17.37
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $13.78
- AU $13.47Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $7.51Trending at AU $12.30
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $12.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.