Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $5.00+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by simonwaxwax
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe literary career of Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) spanned less than twenty years, but area of intellectual inquiry was left untouched by his icoclastic genius. The philosopher who anunced the death of God in The Gay Science (1882) and went on to challenge the Christian code of morality in Beyond Good and Evil (1886), grappled with the fundamental issues of the human condition in his own intense autobiography, Ecce Homo (1888). Most torious of all, perhaps, his idea of the triumphantly transgressive ubermann ('superman') is developed in the extreme, yet poetic words of Thus Spake Zarathustra (1883-92). Whether addressing conventional Western philosophy or breaking new ground, Nietzsche vastly extended the boundaries of nineteenth-century thought.
- Author BiographyFriedrich Nietzsche was born near Leipzig in 1844, the son of a Lutheran clergyman. At 24 he was appointed to the chair of classical philology at Basle University, where he stayed until forced by his health to retire in 1879. Here, he wrote all his literature, including Thus Spake Zarathustra, and developed his idea of the Superman. He became insane in 1889 and remained so until his death in 1900. R. J. Hollingdale translated eleven of Nietzsche's books and published two books about him; he also translated works by, among others, Schopenhauer, Goethe, E. T. A. Hoffmann, Lichtenberg and Theodor Fontane, many of these for Penguin Classics. He was the honorary president of the British Nietzsche Society. R. J. Hollingdale died on 28 September 2001.
- Author(s)Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/1977
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notebibliography
- Weight213 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byR. J. Hollingdale
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.