All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Path Revealed is the story about a young family's sudden shift from a comfortable, middle-class American life into an alien world shaped and defined by Alzheimer's disease. Just days after turning 50, Martha Maddux was hit with this diagsis. The news devastated her and husband Carlen. But this is t a story about hopelessness. Rather, this story traces a path that emerged during their family's darkest hours, a path they did t foresee. Encouraged by a friend and Presbyterian minister, just after the diagsis, Martha and Carlen drove from their home in Florida to visit a Catholic nun in Kentucky. This path first appeared among the hills and back roads there. As we were drawn into this twisting journey, says Carlen, I scrambled for answers. I devoured scores of books, began writing what evolved into a 14-volume journal, flew halfway around the world to Australia, spent scores of weekends at a nearby monastery, and found myself all alone one week in Thomas Merton's cabin. A Path Revealed is t an Alzheimer's guidebook or a self-help book. Plenty of those exist, many with good practical advice. Only a few books, though, explore the painful spiritual and emotional issues that are sure to surface with a crisis like Alzheimer's. Martha and Carlen were forced to face the fallout from their own crisis. You or a loved one may be staring at a different crisis-cancer, stroke, job loss, diabetes, heart attack, home foreclosure, you name it. Regardless of the crisis, the potential for emotional and psychological upheaval--alienation, depression, fear, guilt, anxiety attacks, a cold numbness-is much the same for victim and family alike, for care-receiver and caregiver. Alzheimer's happens to be the context of our story, t its focus, says Carlen. Our story's focus is the spiritual path that emerged out of a threatening darkness.
- Author BiographyCarlen Maddux is a career journalist. For twenty-six years he was an editor and owner of the Maddux Report, a business magazine covering the Tampa Bay region. He previously was a business writer for the nationally recognized St. Petersburg Times. Martha and Carlen raised their three children David, Rachel, and Kathryn in St. Petersburg, FL. The couple loved to play tennis, dance (she more than he), and snow ski.
- Author(s)Carlen Maddux
- PublisherParaclete Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationOrleans
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintParaclete Press
- Weight207 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.