A Philadelphia Perspective: The Civil War Diary of Sidney George Fisher by Sidney George Fisher (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $59.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $77.94+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionInvaluable...many insights into the life and thought of the nineteenth century...[Fisher's] comments are stimulating, often barbed...the narrative is smooth-flowing and fascinating. -American Historical Review An important literary event...an invaluable historical source. Unexcelled. -Pennsylvania History Fisher was an astute and acerbic commentator on politics and society in Philadelphia, Washington, and the country as a whole during the Civil War. While legal, historical, and literary scholars will mine this diary for its penetrating insights, lovers of history will delight in Fisher's ability to record the quotidian and the monumental with clarity, force, and lasting effect. -Herman Belz, University of Maryland An indispensable source for the Northern home front during the Civil War. -Mark E. Neely, Jr., The Pennsylvania State University An aristocratic member of a prominent Philadelphia family, Sidney George Fisher (1809-1871) was a prolific man of letters. Between 1834 and 1871, he kept a detailed diary that chronicled t only daily life in America's second city but also the key political, social, and cultural events of the nineteenth century. Published in 1967, Fisher's diary quickly became one of the most remarkable works of its kind; few published diaries are as incisive and illuminating of their era. This book makes available once again the pages of Fisher's diary written during the Civil War. As he wrote on November 9, 1861, My diary has become little else than a record of the events of the war, which occupies all thoughts and conversation. His record of the events is a uniquely valuable portrait of a city, and a nation, at war. Fisher recorded everything from conversations on street corners to arrests of civilians for treason (including some members of his family), critiques of partisan speeches and pamphlets to descriptions of battles, accounts of runaway slaves, and tales of mob violence. At the same time, he reports on dinners, parties, weddings, and funerals among the city's elite. Brilliant journalism, the Diary is rich with Fisher's own observations- on secession, war and peace, on his admiration for Lincoln and his complicated feelings about slavery and emancipation. The Diary, with a new introduction by Jonathan W. White, joins those of George Templeton Strong and Mary Boykin Chesnut as classic windows on American life During the War Between the States. Jonathan W. White's articles on Civil War politics have appeared in such journals as Civil War History, American Nineteenth Century History, The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, and Pennsylvania History. Awarded a John T. Hubbell prize for the best article in Civil War History, he is a doctoral candidate in history at the University of Maryland, College Park. Cover illustrations: Cover design by Fordham University Press New York www.fordhampress.com
- Author BiographyJonathan W. White is an assistant professor of American Studies at Christopher Newport University, in Newport News, Virginia. He is the author of Abraham Lincoln and Treason in the Civil War: The Trials of John Merryman (Louisiana State University Press, 2011), and has another book, titled To Aid Their Rebel Friends': Politics and Treason in the Civil War North, under contract with LSU Press. White has published A Philadelphia Perspective:The Civil War Diary of Sidney George Fisher (Fordham University Press, 2007) and articles in Civil War History, American Nineteenth Century History, Ohio Valley History, and the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography.
- Author(s)Sidney George Fisher
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleNorth's Civil War
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations
- Weight423 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJonathan W. White
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.