All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is human freedom, and what are its main threats today? These questions and more are discussed in Lars Svendsen's comprehensive investigation of the nature of freedom in contemporary society. Our behaviours, thoughts and actions are governed by a variety of restrictions, deadlines and burdens. Taking a broad approach across metaphysics, politics and ethics, A Philosophy of Freedom questions how we can successfully create meaningful lives for ourselves and others when we are estranged in this way from the very concept of what it means to be free. By tackling such issues as the nature of free agency and the possibility of freedom in a universe governed by natural laws, Svendsen concludes that the real definition of personal freedom is first and foremost the liberty to devote yourself to what truly matters to you. Drawing on the fascinating debates surrounding the possibility of freedom and its limits within society, A Philosophy of Freedom provides an engaging overview of modern philosophical thought on the topic; an accessible and insightful study for academics and general readers alike.
- Author BiographyLars Svendsen is a professor of Philosophy at the University of Bergen, Norway. His previous publications include A Philosophy of Boredom (2004), Fashion: A Philosophy (2006) and A Philosophy of Fear (2008), all published by Reaktion Books.
- Author(s)Lars Svendsen
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/08/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.