All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.70
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.40
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionA Place That Matters Yet unearths the little-kwn story of Johannesburg's MuseumAfrica, a South African history museum that embodies one of the most dynamic and fraught stories of colonialism and postcolonialism, its life spanning the eras before, during, and after apartheid. Sara Byala, in examining this story, sheds new light t only on racism and its institutionalization in South Africa but also on the problems facing any museum that is charged with navigating colonial history from a postcolonial perspective. Drawing on thirty years of personal letters and public writings by museum founder John Gubbins, Byala paints a picture of a uniquely progressive colonist, focusing on his philosophical tion of three-dimensional thinking, which aimed to transcend binaries and thus - quite explicitly - racism. Unfortunately, Gubbins died within weeks of the museum's opening, and his hopes would go unrealized as the museum fell in line with emergent apartheid politics. Following the museum through this transformation and on to its 1994 reconfiguration as a postapartheid institution, Byala showcases it as a rich - and problematic - archive of both material culture and the ideas that surround that culture, arguing for its continued importance in the establishment of a unified South Africa.
- Author BiographySara Byala is a historian and senior writing fellow in the Center for Programs in Contemporary Writing at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Sara Byala
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2013
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note8 halftones
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.