All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
About this product
- DescriptionShortlisted as the Best Irish-Published Book of the Year at the 2013 Bord Gais Energy Irish Book Awards A Portrait of Dublin in Maps is a unique piece of work. Most countries produce large, comprehensive national atlases, but similar atlas has been produced for any major city. Each map covers a single view of the whole city at a relatively small scale, covering a single theme or subject, so that patterns and interrelationships can be appreciated and the structure and working of the city can be better understood. The atlas deals with intangible things, such as social class, ecomic status, politics and religion, and also hidden things, such as the city's geology, drainage, water and electricity supply. It also deals with the past, providing a comprehensible picture of how Dublin developed over time. The internet provides access to a massive amount of information relating to the city of Dublin, but most of it is diffuse and difficult to locate, handle and compare. By contrast, this atlas contains between its covers a vast array of information which is clear and whose parts are directly comparable because of the standard form and scale of each map and the comprehensive range of themes covered. This ground-breaking book will delight native Dubliners and visitors to the city alike. Every major city in Europe should have one.
- Author BiographyMuiris de Buitleir has lived in Dublin all his life. Although he originally studied architecture at the Dublin Institute of Technology, Bolton Street, he found that his true interest lay with surveying and maps. He holds a master's degree in geographical information systems and is currently president of the Irish Institution of Surveyors. Now retired, he was a surveyor and cartographer with the Office of Public Works and subsequently geographical information systems manager with Duchas-the Heritage Service and the Department of the Environment. This book is the culmination of his interest in maps and his love of Dublin.
- Author(s)Muiris De Buitleir
- Date of Publication27/09/2013
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintGill & Macmillan Ltd
- Content Note125
- Weight1217 g
- Width230 mm
- Height295 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.