Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.42
About this product
- DescriptionInitially set in post Gulf War Iraq, A Pound of Flesh tells the tale of a middle class family and their struggle to leave Iraq for the freedom of the West. Drawing upon real life events, the family: Karim (father), Zaffer (son) and Sami (daughter) eventually escape with Karim's concubine Qozay. The family end up in Manchester and struggle as asylum seeking foreigners in trying to adjust and make a new life in the UK. Zaffer and Sami are gifted students who enrol in medical school and sixth form college respectively. Karim and Qozay w together in a new and free society eventually get married, finally laying the memories of Karim's missing wife to rest. Eventually Karim with the aid of his cousin Ali who is already in the UK is presented with an opportunity to buy a takeaway business: The Chippy which is located in the heart of Moss Side. Although initially proud to be business owners, the daily grind sets in and they discover that the business is t without it's problems. They are tormented by a gang of drug dealing youths whose actions are progressively getting worse. Karim and Qozay lament about the irony that they have everything they wished for whilst in Iraq but are still t happy. Karim is forced to close The Chippy after a serious assault and while off ill and depressed, a twist of fate resurrects a perverse plan that Karim has harboured to alleviate his suffering. Getting his son and cousin on side, the trio put Karim's plan into action to combat their tormentors. Karim's miscreant solution to his problems eventually backfires in a twisted and unexpected fashion.
- Author(s)Stephen K.
- Date of Publication06/12/2013
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationBloomington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight322 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.