All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
About this product
- DescriptionA man may imagine he understands something, but still t understand anything in the way that he ought to. (Paul of Tarsus, 1 Corinthians 8:2) Calling this a 'practical theory' may require some explanation. Theory and practice are often thought of as two di?erent worlds, governed bydi?erentideals,principles, andlaws.DavidLorgeParnas, forinstance,who hascontributedmuchtoourtheoreticalunderstandingofsoftwareengineering and also to sound use of theory in the practice of it, likes to point out that 'theoretically' is synymous to 't really'. In applied mathematics the goal is to discover useful connections between these two worlds. My thesis is that in software engineering this two-world view is inadequate, and a more intimate interplay is required between theory and practice. That is, both theoretical and practical components should be integrated into a practical theory. It should beclearfrom theabovethattheintended readership of this book is t theoreticians. They would probably have di?culties in appreciating a book on theory where the presentation does t proceed in a logical sequence from basic de?nitions to theorems and mathematical proofs, followed by - plication examples. In fact, all this would t constitute what I understand by a practical theory in this context.
- Author BiographyReino Kurki-Suonio has a PhD in mathematics from the University of Helsinki. He entered the field of computing in 1960. In 1965 he moved from industry to the University of Tampere to start the first computer science department in Finland. In 1980 he was invited to develop education in information technology at Tampere University of Technology, where he currently serves as professor emeritus at the Institute of Software Systems. During his career he has held visiting positions at Carnegie Mellon and Stanford Universities, and has served as the Chair of IFIP Technical Committee on Software, Theory and Practice.
- Author(s)Reino Kurki-Suonio
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication21/10/2010
- SubjectComputing: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleTexts in Theoretical Computer Science: An EATCS Series
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Notebiography
- Weight676 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of hardcover 1st ed. 2005
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.