All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMarshall Sahlins (b. 1930) is an American anthropologist who played a major role in the development of anthropological theory in the second half of the twentieth century. Over a sixty-year career, he and his colleagues synthesized trends in evolutionary, Marxist, and ecological anthropology, moving them into mainstream thought. Sahlins is considered a critic of reductive theories of human nature, an exponent of culture as a key concept in anthropology, and a politically engaged intellectual opposed to militarism and imperialism. This collection brings together some of the world's most distinguished anthropologists to explore and advance Sahlins's legacy. All of the essays are based on original research, most dealing with cultural change - a major theme of Sahlins's research, especially in the contexts of Fijian and Hawaiian societies. Like Sahlins's practice of anthropology, these essays display a rigorous, humanistic study of cultural forms, refusing to accept comfort over accuracy, t shirking from the moral implications of their analyses. Contributors include the late Greg Dening, one of the most eminent historians of the Pacific, Martha Kaplan, Patrick Kirch, Webb Keane, Jonathan Friedman, and Joel Robbins, with a preface by the late Claude Levi-Strauss. A unique volume that will complement the many books and articles by Sahlins himself, A Practice of Anthropology is an exciting new addition to the history of anthropological study.
- Author BiographyAlex Golub is associate professor of anthropology at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. Daniel Rosenblatt is assistant professor of anthropology at Carleton University. John D. Kelly is professor of anthropology at the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Alex Golub,Daniel Rosenblatt,John D. Kelly
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication13/06/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Note4 photos, 3 maps, 3 diagrams, 1 table
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.