All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProcesses of collective decision making are seen throughout modern society. How does a government decide on an investment strategy within the health care and educational sectors? Should a government or a community introduce measures to combat climate change and CO2 emissions, even if others choose t too? Should a country develop a nuclear capability despite the risk that other countries may follow their lead? This introductory text explores the theory of social choice. Social choice theory provides an analysis of collective decision making. The main aim of the book is to introduce students to the various methods of aggregating the preferences of all members of a given society into some social or collective preference. Written as a primer suitable for advanced undergraduates and graduates, this text will act as an important starting point for students grappling with the complexities of social choice theory. With all new chapter exercises this rigorous yet accessible primer avoids the use of technical language and provides an up-to-date discussion of this rapidly developing field.
- Author BiographyWulf Gaertner is Professor of Economics at the University of Osnabruck in Germany and Fellow of Wissenschaftskolleg, Berlin. He has held several visiting posts at Tulane University, Harvard University, and the London School of Economics and Political Science, and was the recipient of the Ludwig Lachmann Research Fellowship from the LSE for the period 2006-2008. Professor Gaertner is also one of the managing editors of the journal, Social Choice and Welfare.
- Author(s)Wulf Gaertner
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication23/04/2009
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleLondon School of Economics Perspectives in Economic Analysis
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notetables and figures
- Weight361 g
- Width155 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $28.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.