All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1948, a refugee from his native Palestine, unable to finish his education and forced to abandon his family's property and possessions, all the cards were stacked against Elia Nuqul. Growing up in the ancient town of Ramleh, Elia Nuqul's sole ambition was to be an engineer. In 1948, he was beginning his studies at the American University of Beirut when his family were expelled from their home during the catastrophic War of 1948 and seek sanctuary elsewhere. Elia Nuqul at once gave up his studies to join them in Jordan where he immediately assumed responsibility for his family's welfare.Yet, somehow, despite this inauspicious start, Elia Nuqul managed to fulfil his early promise and become one of the most successful businessmen in the Middle East. How did he make this extraordinary journey and what does his unique story teach us, t only about the world of business but also about adapting to life in exile? How has he bridged the gap between being Palestinian and Jordanian? And how does he juggle the management of an international business empire with the Middle Eastern tradition of commitment to family? A Promise Fulfilled vividly explores Elia Nuqul's long and productive life and demonstrates how his core values of loyalty, invation and attention to detail lie at the heart of a family company which stands as an example throughout the Middle East and beyond.
- Author BiographyA.J.M. Wheatcroft has written widely on the history of the Middle East since 1972, with his work translated into more than 11 languages, including Arabic and Turkish. His most recent book on the region is With United Strength: H.H. Shaikh Zayid Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, The Leader and the Nation. Christina Zacharia Hawatmeh is the co-author of Palestine and the Palestinians. She obtained her PhD from The American University, Washington D.C. and presently teaches at the University of Jordan.
- Author(s)Andrew Wheatcroft,Christina Hawatmeh
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/06/2008
- SubjectBiography: Business
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note50 integrated b/w illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.