All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionAs a small boy, John Comi-James stood in school cap and Sunday suit to have his snapshot taken under flags put up for Queen Elizabeth's Coronation. The resultant photograph resonates with an England long since disappeared, yet still fertile in the imagination. That sense of how that England has changed is the focus in John Comi-James' new book as he explores our everyday landscape of sign and symbol, from roadside verge to traffic-free shopping centre, to high-rise cityscapes. Art is in action ahead, and with a friendly corporate Hello, we are offered No Deposit Deals on Half Price Dreams. We are thanked for shopping, and offered free cash withdrawals. A Money Shop is at hand and woodlands are for sale - just visit the website. If we drop litter CCTV may catch us, and we are warned that if we leave something valuable on show in our car we can expect it to be stolen. Reminders of the valour and necessity, the sacrifices, the folly and the tragedy of war are never far away. Earthquakes may strike, stores may close but we can still buy artisan ice-cream. But if opportunity is the moment you have been looking for, where is salvation to be found if t in moments of direct relationship with others?
- Author BiographyBorn in Somerset, John Comino-James lives near Thame in Oxfordshire. He has published six previous photography books: 'Nearly Every Tuesday', which documented Thame's weekly street market; 'Fairground Attraction', which explored the way of life of travelling showmen; 'A Few Streets, a Few People', an intimate portrait of the people and surroundings of the Cayo Hueso barrio in Havana, Cuba; 'In a Very English Town', which acknowledges qualities that typify Thame as an English market town; 'Fortunate Steps', photographs made in Havana's historic Calzada del Diez de Octubre; and, most recently, 'Havana, Intimations of Departure'. His work has been exhibited in Thame, Oxford, London and Havana.
- Author(s)John Comino-James
- PublisherDewi Lewis Publishing
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- Place of PublicationStockport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDewi Lewis Publishing
- Content Notechiefly illustrations
- Width290 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.