All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this major collection of his essays, Alberto Manguel, whom George Steiner has called the Casava of reading, argues that the activity of reading, in its broadest sense, defines our species. We come into the world intent on finding narrative in everything, writes Manguel, landscape, the skies, the faces of others, the images and words that our species create. Reading our own lives and those of others, reading the societies we live in and those that lie beyond our borders, reading the worlds that lie between the covers of a book are the essence of A Reader on Reading. The thirty-nine essays in this volume explore the crafts of reading and writing, the identity granted to us by literature, the far-reaching shadow of Jorge Luis Borges, to whom Manguel read as a young man, and the links between politics and books and between books and our bodies. The powers of censorship and intellectual curiosity, the art of translation, and those numius memory palaces we call libraries also figure in this remarkable collection. For Manguel and his readers, words, in spite of everything, lend coherence to the world and offer us a few safe places, as real as paper and as bracing as ink, to grant us room and board in our passage.
- Author BiographyAlberto Manguel is one of the world's great readers. He is a member of PEN, a Guggenheim Fellow, and an Officer of the French Order of Arts and Letters. He has been the recipient of numerous prizes, including the Prix Medicis in essays for A History of Reading, and the McKitterick Prize for his novel News from a Foreign Country Came. Among his most recent books is The Library at Night, also published by Yale University Press. His work has been translated into more than thirty languages.
- Author(s)Alberto Manguel
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication28/06/2011
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note12 b-w illus.
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.