All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionWhen A Return to Modestywas first published in 1999, it began an important and much-needed national conversation. Wendy Shalit persuasively argued that modesty is t some hang-up we should set out to cure, but rather a wonderful instinct that, if rediscovered and given the right social support, has the power to transform society. Now, in this newly revised edition, Shalit backs up her claim with the latest trends and research to prove that the issue is just as pressing today as ever. Unfortunately, many problems Shalit originally explored, such as date rape, harassment, and most alarmingly, the sexualisation of young girls, have only become more prevalent. Where once a young woman was ashamed of her sexual experience, today she is ashamed of her sexual inexperience. And as we continue to push the limits of what is accepted behaviour, the pressure to overcome embarrassment and discard all sense of modesty is greater than ever. A Return to Modestyis a deeply personal account as well as a fascinating intellectual exploration into everything from seventeenth-century manners to the 1948 tune Baby, It's Cold Outside. Beholden neither to social conservatives r to feminists, Shalit reminds us that modesty is t prudery, but a natural instinct-and one that may be able to save us from ourselves.
- Author BiographyWendy Shalit, a graduate of Williams College, is a contributing editor of CITY JOURNAL and has written for the WALL STREET JOURNAL.
- Author(s)Wendy Shalit
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication22/05/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteindex, notes
- Weight317 g
- Width139 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementAnniversary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.