Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $41.01Trending at AU $43.51
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.68
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the life of newborn infant, Emmanuel, this great contemporary vel of Quebec exposes a painful history central to the new consciousness that emerged in the 1960s kwn as the quiet revolution. The story of Emmanuel and his 15 brothers and sisters spotlights the grinding poverty under the mental regime of the Catholic Church at its least enlightened and most inescapable. This insightful narrative documents the hardships and cruelties of their social condition with dark humor and passionate imagination as they endeavor to survive harsh schools, dreary convents, and hunger.
- Author BiographyMarie-Claire Blais isthe author of more than 20 novels, 5 plays, and collections of poetry and short stories. She is the recipient of the Prix France-Canada and the prestigious Prix Medicis andwas the first North American writer invited to join Belgium's prestigious Academy of French Language and Literature. She lives in Key West, Florida. Mary Meigs is anAmerican painter who emigrated to Canadaand is best known for her literary contributions.Derek Coltmanhas worked as a translator formore thanfive decades and has translated many ofthe most recognized contemporary French authors. Priscila Uppal is a poet, a fiction writer, and a professor of humanities and English at York University. Her work has been translated into Croatian, Dutch, Greek, Italian, Korean, and Latvian. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.
- Author(s)Marie-Claire Blais
- PublisherExile Editions
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleExile Classics
- Series Part/Volume Number09
- Place of PublicationToronto, ON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintExile Editions
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, figures
- Weight259 g
- Width150 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Mary Meigs
- Translated byDerek Coltman
- Introduction byPriscila Uppal
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.