All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.76
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout Latin America, the idea of justice serves as the ultimate goal and rationale for a wide variety of actions and causes. In the Chilean Atacama Desert, residents have undertaken a prolonged struggle for their right to groundwater. Family members of bombing victims in Bues Aires demand that the state provide justice for the attack. In Colombia, some victims of political violence have turned to the courts for resolution, while others reject the state's ability to fairly adjudicate their grievances and have constructed a n-state tribunal. In each of these examples, the protagonists seek one main thing: justice. A Sense of Justice ethgraphically explores the complex dynamics of justice production across Latin America. The chapters examine (in)justice as it is lived and imagined today and what it means for those who claim and regulate its parameters, including the Brazilian police force, the Permanent Peoples' Tribunal in Colombia, and the Argentine Supreme Court. Inextricable as justice is from inequality, violence, crime, and corruption, it emerges through memory, in space, and where ideals meet practical limitations. Ultimately, the authors show how understanding the dynamic processes of constructing justice is essential to creating cooperative rather than oppressive forms of law.
- Author BiographySandra Brunnegger is Fellow and Lecturer at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge. Karen Ann Faulk is Research Professor at the Colegio de Mexico.
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byKaren Ann Faulk,Sandra Brunnegger
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.