All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThirteen exquisite houses create a portrait of life in one of America s most exclusive coastal destinations, along the beaches of Martha s Vineyard and Cape Cod. Hutker Architects, led by founding principal Mark A. Hutker, has designed more than three hundred houses along the New England shore. A member of the close community on Martha s Vineyard since his arrival in 1985, Hutker has become an expert at interpreting the ideal lifestyles of his clients within the respected traditions and restrictive codes of the beautiful but fragile environment. In their design and construction, these houses hor the vernacular traditions of craft and indigeus materials, are deeply respectful of the cherished landscape, and demonstrate a lively range of solutions to building on the bluffs and dunes that line the shores of the Vineyard and Cape Cod. A working organic farm fulfills a family s dream of simpler values; a luxurious revation saves the best of an antique shingle cottage while transforming it for contemporary family life and a raised structure clad in naturally weathered boards combines the legacy of midcentury regional modern architecture with Cape Cod s maritime tradition. The firm is committed to the principle Build once, well, looking to the historic architecture of the region and the inherited experience of its carpenters and craftspeople as inspiration for contemporary design. The result is an architecture that is at once adaptable and livable, yet enduring, efficient, inevitable, and appropriate. The houses sit lightly on the land, deferring to their surroundings, often built as a series of modest pavilions linked by passages or grouped to enclose an outdoor space. Creative design solutions a light-filled gallery running the full length of a house, a continuous wall of sliding glass doors make houses both open to views, but protective in a storm. Specially commissioned photography captures the craftsmanship and the settings of the houses, from dramatic bluffs overlooking the sea to secluded coves and rolling meadows filled with wildflowers, creating a unique portrait of Cape Cod and Martha s Vineyard.
- Author BiographyMark A. Hutker has been designing houses on Cape Cod and Martha s Vineyard for thirty years. Today he and principals Philip Regan, Charles Orr, and Jim Cappuccino lead a firm of thirty-five professionals committed to design excellence and stewardship in these fabled communities. Their work has been honored with awards from AIA New England, the Boston Society of Architects, and the Institute of Classical Architecture and Art, and their projects have been featured in prestigious publications including Architectural Digest, Architectural Record, the Wall Street Journal, and Coastal Living.
- Author(s)Marc Kristal,Mark A. Hutker
- PublisherMonacelli Press
- Date of Publication11/06/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonacelli Press
- Content Note200 illustrations
- Weight1542 g
- Width229 mm
- Height292 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.