Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1979, the alleged memoirs of legendary composer Dmitry Shostakovich (1906-1975) were published as Testimony: The Memoirs of Dmitry Shostakovich As Related to and Edited by Solomon Volkov . Since its appearance, however, Testimony has been the focus of controversy in Shostakovich studies as doubts were raised concerning its authenticity and the role of its editor, Volkov, in creating the book. A Shostakovich Casebook presents 25 essays, interviews, newspaper articles, and reviews - many newly available since the collapse of the Soviet Union - that review the 'case' of Shostakovich.In addition to authoritatively reassessing Testimony's genesis and reception, the authors in this book address issues of political influence on musical creativity and the role of the artist within a totalitarian society. Internationally kwn contributors include Richard Taruskin, Laurel E. Fay, and Irina Antovna Shostakovich, the composer's widow. This volume combines a balanced reconsideration of the Testimony controversy with an examination of what the controversy signifies for all music historians, performers, and thoughtful listeners. Malcolm Hamrick Brown is founding editor of the series Russian Music Studies . From the time of his first extended stay in Moscow in 1962, he has been continuously involved in teaching, researching, lecturing, writing, and publishing on Russian and Soviet music.
- Author BiographyMalcolm Hamrick Brown, a world-renowned authority on Russian and Soviet music, is the founding editor of the Russian Music Studies series at Indiana University Press.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2004
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleRussian Music Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Out-of-print date26/03/2015
- Content Note14 b&w photos, 6 figures, 1 bibliog., 1 index
- Weight663 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byMalcolm Hamrick Brown
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.