All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis fun, absorbing book, packed with quirky bite-sized lists, quizzes and trivia, is an exploration of the Latin language, aiming to prove that it is as vibrant and relevant today as it was 2,500 years ago. It includes sections on Latin in the movies, US state mottoes and place names, and also some choice snippets from real Latin poetry from Catullus, Horace and Virgil, with evocative translations. It contains a fascinating section on the Roman emperors and what they got up to, and gives the basics of the language itself for anyone who would like to learn it. Quizzes allow the reader to guess the names of famous books, songs and James Bond films, cunningly translated into Latin. From the spells in Harry Potter to the use of Latin in Asterix, to the Latin terms that litter law and medicine to the meaning behind UK football club mottoes, this book is the perfect gift for anyone who wants to brush up their Latin, whether they studied it at school or t.
- Author BiographySimon James teaches Latin at Westminster school in London, where he has lived and worked for many years. An avid cinephile, he is also the author of The London Film Location Guide.
- Author(s)Simon James
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- LanguageEnglish & Latin
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteBlack and white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width135 mm
- Height185 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.