All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.70
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
About this product
- DescriptionIt has been referred to as a national crisis - even one of global proportions. Simply stated, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender-identified young adults are killing themselves. Their sense of isolation in a world of such vast resources is, in itself, a tragedy. How is it their sense of the world has become so small? Why have they t been able to find the rooms of the world in which lie hope? I, too, struggled as a gay youth. I lived in two worlds, constantly in fear my secret would be uncovered, my strangeness revealed, my legitimacy and success as a young adult challenged, my accomplishments marred, and my confidence - shaken. I felt like a fake. I wondered about my ability to live in such a world. In later years, it is the term Ally that came to life for me. It occurred in small ways. Allies, for me, were those friends and family members who supported me, accepted and loved me, who, alongside me, celebrated my life journey. They loved me, laughed and cried with me, gave me back the legitimacy I'd felt I would lose if I was different. I didn't feel different any more...through them, I found our sameness. I thought about our differences less often, and somewhere along the way even forgot we were different - or were we ever? In a broader sense, allies make small groups of us bigger, stronger, more widely accepted. They identify with us, stand beside us, help our differences fade into the spaces around us. They give voices to those who cant speak, legs to those who cant walk. They find the sameness underneath our skins that unite us, and leverage the differences to foster understanding and make the world a better place for everyone. It is my hope that sharing this book will continue to make my world, and the world of other Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgender-identified youth bigger and stronger. A portion of the proceeds from sales of this book will be donated directly to organizations that support our gay youth, opening doors to rooms and networks of active allies and mentors across the country. It is my hope to create as many rooms of hope as possible - and that this will spark a flame for yet additional allies, networks, and abilities to reach across invisible barriers, eliminate them, and ultimately - save lives.
- Author BiographyBorn and raised in Montreal, Heather now resides north of Toronto. She went to school on the east coast, worked on the west coast, and now splits her time between Toronto and adventures outside of the city. She surrounds herself with the people she loves - often with two loyal dogs in tow!
- Author(s)Heather Sargent
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication09/11/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight82 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.