All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Written in lyrical prose, this vel for fans of epic romances and mythology retellings explores themes of love, loss, fate, and destiny set against the dramatic and diverse backdrop of Northern England. David Almond, recipient of the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award, a Printz Hor for <i>Skellig, </i> and the Printz Award for <i>Kit's Wilderness, </i> has crafted an enchanting modern take on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. Claire and Ella and their friends are bound by ties so strong they seem unbreakable. Then the strange and handsome Orpheus strolls onto the beach, and he sings them all into an astonishing new understanding of themselves. Ella is caught the hardest, fastest, deepest--and Claire is left with the pain of looking on. Raw, emotional, lyrical, funny, and true, <i>A Song for Ella Grey</i> is a tale of the joys, troubles, and desires of modern teens. It takes place in the ordinary streets of Tyneside and on the beautiful beaches of Northumberland. It's a story of first love, a love song that draws on ancient mythical forces. A love that leads Ella, Orpheus, and Claire to the gates of Death and beyond. <b>Winner of The Guardian Children's Fiction Prize<b>A <i>PW</i> Best Book of 2015 Almond's lyrical narrative will sweep readers on a journey to unearthly, mysterious realms and back. --<b><i>Publishers Weekly, </i>Starred Review Invative and dreamlike . . . and told in Almond's lyrical, distinctive prose. Teen readers of a literary bent and mythology enthusiasts will love this latest work. --<b><i>School Library Journal</i>, Starred Review Almond brings his hyptic lyricism to this darkly romantic tale that sings of the madness of youth, the ache of love, and the near-impossibility of grasping death. --<b><i>Kirkus Reviews</i></b>
- Author BiographyDAVID ALMOND grew up in a large family in northeastern England and says, The place and the people have given me many of my stories. His first novel for children, <i>Skellig, </i> was a Michael L. Printz Honor Book and an ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book and appeared on many Best Book of the Year lists. He wrote <i>My Name is Mina</i>, the prequel to <i>Skellig</i>. His novel, <i>Kit's Wilderness, </i> won the Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature. David Almond is a recipient of the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award. He lives in England. Visit him online at davidalmond.com and on Facebook and follow him @davidjalmond on Twitter.
- Author(s)David Almond
- PublisherDelacorte Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDelacorte Press
- Weight408 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.