CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionUSSTRATCOM/J535 developed the Weapon Assignment Model (WAM) to analyze potential future force structures and build the Red Integrated Strategic Offensive Plan (RISOP), a hypothetical Russian war plan for attacking the West. Typical problems from WAM consider 3,000 targets and 6,000 warheads from about 2,700 weapon systems. The Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicle (MIRV) systems are limited to a pool of about 30,000 feasible footprints. The integer linear formulation of this problem often has over 16 goals, 500,000 decision variables, and 10,000 constraints. The problem size warrants the use of heuristics to find good solutions. This research demonstrates that tabu search obtains excellent solutions to problems from WAM. The tabu search basically deletes and adds individual weapon assignments to find better solutions, while forbidding (tabu) backtracking on a move for a number of iterations (tabu tenure). Very good solutions are obtained in about 30 minutes on a dual processor PC when starting with weapons assigned. The tabu search obtains good solutions much faster if a previous solution, even if currently infeasible, is the starting point for the search. While significantly reducing computational time from the current solve technique, the tabu search allows for either prioritized or goal programming, does t limit the size of the footprint pool, and is t sensitive to the order of the goals. Tabu search's ability to quickly solve these nuclear targeting problems provides better insight into force structure and policy decisions. This research lays the foundation for automating and optimizing U.S. nuclear war plans.
- Author(s)Christopher A Cullenbine
- Date of Publication17/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight204 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.