All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
About this product
- DescriptionOver the Texan landscape lies the bloody stain of a forgotten defeat. Commemorated only by a lone monument is the death of Cherokee Chief Duwal'li executed on July 16, 1839 while leading a pan-tribal resistance of 800 warriors. The fight that took his life is called the Battle of Neches but to those who kw the full story, it was truly a massacre. Duwal'li's troubles with foreign settlers began in 1773 with the slaying of his father. It ended in his heroic attempt to secure land titles for the Cherokees and the associated tribes he represented. Faced with deceit and bigotry at every turn, Duwal'li's struggle turned to tragedy when he was forced to confront the army of the newly formed Republic of Texas. Turning her perceptive eye to this overlooked moment in history, celebrated author, Sally McClain, sets the record straight with meticulous research and sweeping historical vision. Hers is a damning look at the harmful philosophy called Manifest Destiny and the devastation of westward expansion. Yet, A Taint on Texas seeks t only to condemn but to heal. For ultimately, this history is a renewed monument to the life of Chief Duawl'li so that his life and struggle may stand as an inspiration for the ages. It is an important book that will be welcomed by Native Americans, history buffs and truth seekers everywhere.
- Author(s)Sally McClain
- Date of Publication23/10/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationBloomington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.